The Look of Winner!
Aggressively styled cowls with the rear cowl and top cowl air dam sculpted out of lightweight carbon fiber composite. Bold new ultra-premium graphics scream performance and luxury
Cool Air Intake
The cool air intake grabs fresh outside air to feed the supercharger and cooler air means more horsepower for big performance gains
The water-cooled supercharger uses the engine cooling system to reduce air temperatures and supercharger load, increasing supercharger durability and more importantly – POWER
Charge Air Cooler
For even more power, the air is cooled one last time by the charge air cooler after the air exits the supercharger and before it enters the cylinder head for maximum performance
Electronic Boost Bypass Control Valve
Electronically monitors boost pressure levels to self-compensate for environmental changes, delivering consistent power that you have to feel to believe
Standard on all 400R models, the stainless steel guide plates stabilize the engine and Advanced Midsection for improved durability and rock solid handling at high speeds and in rough seas
High performance engine mounts designed in conjunction with Mercury’s exclusive Advanced Midsection for the perfect combination of handling and overall running quality
Rear Tie Bar Kit
400Rs destined for ultra-go fast duty on high performance catamarans and vee-bottoms are equipped with a custom Mercury Racing designed rear tie bar kit. The factory installed kit includes custom rear engine mounts and a heavy duty, stainless steel tie bar wing plate. The engine mounts feature an addendum for the mounting of the wing plate. Tie bars must be sourced through the boat builder or dealer
SmartCraft integrated marine technology is the brains behind the operation and the backbone for leading technologies like Digital Throttle & Shift and Joystick Piloting for Outboards. SmartCraft links the engine, controls, steering, and displays to provide data to keep the user informed of engine diagnostics and performance
Digital Throttle and Shift is a fully electronic throttle and shift system that offers smooth and predictable shifting and instant throttle response, similar to a modern sports car. Mercury Racing Zero Effort controls with Shadow Mode offer the ability to throttle and shift up to four engines with just two throttle and two shift levers for easier control at higher speeds
Joystick Piloting for Outboards takes away the anxiety by combining throttle, shift and steering into one easy to use joystick which is designed for maximum maneuverability at lower speeds. The 400R gives you maximum performance at high and low speeds with Joystick Piloting for Outboards
- HP / kW400/298
- Full Throttle RPM6400-7000
- Engine TypeInline 6-cylinder
- Air Induction SystemSupercharged with Cold Air Intake and charge air cooling and electronic boost pressure control
- Fuel SystemSequential Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injectin (EFI)
- Fuel RequirementsRecommended Unleaded 91 Octane
Minimum Unleaded 89 Octane
- StartingElectric (Turn-key) with SmartStart
- Exhaust SystemThrough Prop
- Recommended OilMercury Racing 25W-50
NMMA Certified FCW 25W-50 Synthetic Blend
- Oil Capacity8.0 Liters
- Engine Management SystemSmartCraft Engine Guardian
- Minimum Centerline
Mounting Distance26 inches
- Steering SystemElectro-hydraulic power steering
Joystick Piloting for Outboards
- Gearcase5.44" Offshore HD
Sport Master in straight, left and right camber
- Gear Ratio1.75:1
- CARB Star RatingCARB 2-Star
- Alternator/AMP70 AMP / 882 Watt (Belt-Drive)
- Counter RotationAvailable in both gearcases
- Dry Weight*668 lbs (303 kg)
- Shaft Length20" / 508mm
25" / 635mm
30" / 762mm
- ColorPhantom Black
- Warranty*2-Year Limited for recreational boating
3-Year Limited Corrosion warranty
- Cylinder head designed for enhanced durability and increased performance.
- Custom exhaust valves: Race derived to for enhanced performance and durability.
- Camshaft: Custom lobe profile (intake & exhaust) and Mercury Racing derived cam timing for enhanced power and torque.
- Water-cooled Supercharger: Custom rotor profile for enhanced supercharger efficiency.
- Pistons: Mercury Racing derived piston profile and custom piston ring pack for enhanced durability and performance
- Stainless Steel Guide Plates: Stainless steel midsection guide plates with fiber wear pads enhance engine stability at higher speeds and in rough seas.
- High Performance Engine Mounts: Designed in conjunction with Mercury’s exclusive Advanced MidSection for minimal Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) at idle.
- 1.75:1 gear ratio on both Sport Master Gearcase and 5.44″ HD Offshore Gearcase.
- Heavy-duty propeller shaft: Large diameter (1-1/4″) shaft for enhanced durability. 25% larger than conventional shafts.
- Power Steering & DTS: Electro-hydraulic power steering and SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift provide for an exceptionally smooth and responsive driving experience combined with sports car-like handling and performance.
- Suitable For: High Performance Offshore Center Consoles, Performance Catamarans, High Performance Pontoons/Deck Boats, and Performance Fishing boats.
If you have a question that’s not answered in our FAQs or you need additional information, please contact us at the phone numbers listed below.
Mercury Racing Technical Services Hours
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Outboard & Sterndrive Consumer Affairs
(Calls may be recorded for quality purposes)
Mercury Racing Product Technical Publications
Service manuals, parts manuals; operation, maintenance, and warranty manuals.
High Performance Marine Engines