The 400 ROS is the most powerful competition outboard ever produced by Mercury Racing. Structural upgrades incorporated into the 2.6L cylinder block and head ensure classic Verado durability, even on the enduring offshore race circuit.
Cool Air Intake
The cool air intake grabs fresh outside air to feed the supercharger and cooler air means more horsepower for big performance gains
The water-cooled supercharger uses the engine cooling system to reduce air temperatures and supercharger load, increasing supercharger durability and more importantly – POWER
Charge Air Cooler
For even more power, the air is cooled one last time by the charge air cooler after the air exits the supercharger and before it enters the cylinder head for maximum performance
Electronic Boost Bypass Control Valve
Electronically monitors boost pressure levels to self-compensate for environmental changes, delivering consistent power that you have to feel to believe
Custom designed by Mercury Racing, the competition midsection lowers the engine’s center of gravity for enhanced handling particularly when powering into and out of turns as well as overall boat performance at race speeds
Sport Master Gearcase
The Sport Master gearcase provides enhanced boat handling, speed and efficiency. Custom short shaft models in both right and left hand rotation.
Custom CNC Propellers
All new five and six-blade CNC cleaver propellers designed specifically for the 400 ROS. The new props are available in 13, 15, 18 or 21 degree rake and a variety of pitch sizes for precision matching of engine to hull for maximum efficiency and performance.
Bold new 400 ROS graphics customized with XCAT logo and color scheme. A lightweight, carbon fiber lower cowl conceals the transition of powerhead to midsection. Dual rigging tubes facilitate rigging of external systems.
SmartCraft integrated marine technology is the brains behind the operation and the backbone for leading technologies like Digital Throttle & Shift. SmartCraft links the engine, controls, steering, and displays to provide data to keep the user informed of engine diagnostics and performance.
Digital Throttle and Shift is a fully electronic throttle and shift system that offers smooth and predictable shifting and instant throttle response, similar to a modern sports car.
- Propshaft Rated Horsepower (kW)400/298
- Max RPM at Full Throttle 6400-7000
- Cylinders/Engine Configuration Inline 6, 24-Valve Direct-Acting
Double Overhead Cam (DOHC)
- Displacement: L iters (L) Cubic Inches (CID) 2.6/158.5
- Bore & Stroke: Inches (in) Millimeters (mm)3.23 x 3.23/82 x 82
- Induction System Supercharged with Charge Air Cooling &
Electronic Boost Control
- Fuel Octane RequirementsUnleaded 91 r + M/2 (98 RON)
Recommended for Maximum Performance
- Ignition SystemDigital Inductive
- Charging SystemFully Regulated Belt Driven
70-Amp (882 Watt)
- StartingSmartStart Electric
- Exhaust SystemAbove Water
- Cooling SystemWater Cooled with Thermostat &
- Lubrication System Dry Sump
- Oil RequirementMercury Racing NMMA Certified FCW SAE 25W-50 Synthetic Blend
- Oil Capacity
- Engine Management SystemSmartCraft
- Engine Control SystemSmartCraft Digital
Throttle & Shift (DTS)
- Gear Shift F-N-R
- Gear Ratio1.75:1
- Shaft Length
- Counter Rotation Available
- Trim/Tilt System Power trim and tilt remote mount pump
- Steering System External Plate Mount
- Dry Weight (lbs./kg)1
- Most powerful competition outboard ever produced by Mercury Racing.
- Water cooled supercharger reduces intake temperatures for maximum power and performance.
- Electronic knock control ensures maximum engine performance in response to fuel grade and ambient conditions.
- Remote dry sump system maintains steady lubrication during extended high G cornering.
- Structural upgrades incorporated into the 2.6L cylinder block and head ensure classic Verado durability, even on the enduring offshore race circuit.
- SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift provide for an exceptionally smooth and responsive driving experience.
15” Custom Race Mid-Section
- Custom designed at Mercury Racing, the competition mid-section lowers the engine’s center of gravity for enhanced handling particularly when powering into and out of turns as well as overall boat performance at race speeds.
- Machined out of solid billet aluminum for ultimate durability.
- Robust swivel clamp bracket designed to endure the harsh environment of offshore powerboat racing.
- High performance solid engine mounts, designed in conjunction with Mercury Racing’s exclusive mid-section, provide the best combination of handling and overall boat performance.
- Custom powerhead mount plate features Integrated tie bar and steering cylinder mount points for enhanced durability and easy rigging.
Sport Master Gearcase & Custom CNC Props
- Race-proven Sport Master gearcase for enhanced boat handling, speed and efficiency.
- Custom short shaft models in both right and left hand rotation.
- All new five and six-blade CNC cleaver propellers designed specifically for the ROS.
- Props available in 13, 15, 18 or 21 degree rake and a variety of pitch sizes for precision matching of engine to hull for maximum efficiency and performance.
- Bold new ROS graphics customized with XCat logo and color scheme.
- A lightweight, carbon fiber lower cowl conceals the transition of powerhead to midsection.
- Dual rigging tubes facilitate rigging of external systems.
If you have a question that’s not answered in our FAQs or you need additional information, please contact us at the phone numbers listed below.
Mercury Racing Technical Services Hours
Monday through Friday
7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Outboard & Sterndrive Consumer Affairs
(Calls may be recorded for quality purposes)
Mercury Racing Product Technical Publications
Service manuals, parts manuals; operation, maintenance, and warranty manuals.
High Performance Marine Engines